These instructions should be taken as a guideline only.
Suckling pigs are usually a minimum weight of 8kg. Allow at least 1lb/0.45kg of pork per person.
- Wash the pig thoroughly inside and out with cold water – dry completely inside and out.
- Rub body cavity with salt & pepper and desired seasoning (e.g. thyme, rosemary or garlic etc)
To Over Roast your pig
- Allow 20 minutes per per kg cooking time.
- Place a piece of heavy duty foil on a rack placed diagonally in a shallow roasting pan.
- Brush oil on the entire surface of the prepared pig.
- Place the pig on the foil; turn the foil up loosely around the pig.
- Insert meat thermometer into the thickest part.
- Pour dripping into a saucepan, skim off the fat, reheat & serve as sauce.
- Separate the shoulders from the body then remove the legs.
- Cut along the backbone to remove chops from the rib & loin area.
- Everyone should have a piece of skin to chew on (it should crackle)