These instructions should be taken as a guideline only.
Suckling pigs are usually a minimum weight of 8kg. Allow at least 1lb/0.45kg of pork per person.
- Wash the pig thoroughly inside and out with cold water – dry completely inside and out.
- Rub body cavity with salt & pepper and desired seasoning (e.g. thyme, rosemary or garlic etc)
To Barbecue your pig
- Allow 15-20 minutes per lb/33-44 minutes per kg cooking time.
- Coals are ready when they glow and are covered in white ash which takes approximately half an hour.
- We recommend you check and maintain heat every half hour.
- Mount trussed pig on spit rod, insert forks securely in pig and tighten.
- Insert meat thermometer in heaviest part of hind quarter.
- Attach spit to unit & turn on motor.
- Barbeque pig over a medium heat of 150oC to 190oC.
- When pierced with a knife, juices should run a clear yellow.
- Reduce the heat around the head towards the end of cooking.
- If some parts (e.g ears) cook before the rest, cover with tin foil.
- Baste during the last half hour to bronze & crisp skin.
- Separate the shoulders from the body then remove the legs.
- Cut along the backbone to remove chops from the rib & loin area.
- Everyone should have a piece of skin to chew on (it should crackle)